Saturday, September 7, 2013

Sleepy Saturday

Top of the morning to ya,

I started, what I would call, an awesome post on Thursday night that included lots of updates, thoughts, feelings, pictures, etc. Then I kept adding to it as things came about, like when we had to pull over on i90 last night because we thought we ran out of gas and the next rest stop was 26 miles. Then... I accidentally deleted it. 

So anyways- it started about how much I normally hate packing to go away for a weekend but how now it's even worse when you have to think about, scarves and/or other head coverings, special shampoo, special face wash, special lotion, 8 medications (9 if you count two separate doses of Temodar), what there will be to eat at the wedding, what if I get sick, f---, I just want to enjoy myself. But then I thought, I can at least make packing toiletries and medicine more fun. So I went to a craft store and Marshall's and bought these little containers, bedazzled them like a child, and labelled them. And bought this cute Steve Madden case to carry them all! 
Also, I started thinking, "special" toiletries aren't actually a big deal, especially when you can just purchase them all, OTC, at your local neighborhood pharmacy. They're just a little more expensive than I am used to but thats why I love CVS coupons (saved $10 on Thursday). I just got a little dramatic while packing, to say the least. The worst part of the medications is the TIMING. I have to be on top of it at all times because I'm pretty sure missing a dose is frowned upon. I got this app called RxmindMe. It's actually so awesome and helpful. 

Quick side story- on the way to Clinton last night we had quite the gas scare. John, who insisted on taking his car instead of mine, pulled off the highway in the middle of nowhere (minus the beautiful lake to our right- see pin drop location below) and said "I'm literally on E right now, what do we do?" so I said "I have no idea, do you have triple A?, I've never run out of gas before."  And he said "I haven't either." Then I see a HUGE sign in front of us "Next Rest Area 26 Miles". GREAT. I wasn't mad at all, nor was I surprised, but I was actually laughing to myself a little and decided to take some pics. It seemed really typical even though "he hasn't either." So we called his mom who sensibly asked ok rest area 26 miles but what about exit. So I googled it, 9 miles ahead, Canajoharie. Thank god Betty Beavers, cash only, fuel stop was open for business....oh by the way, found out at dinner that this was not actually his first time running out of gas on a highway. Maybe his first time doing it where Dickie couldn't come save him but not his first time. "I haven't either," that's really cute. 
Oh and the time on our way home from Boston at 1am, on E, pull off the Watertown exit (not long after the awful marathon happenings), every gas station was closed and it was pitch black. Finally found a Hess after arguing over it. But for the record, he was driving in his vehicle, each time. Maybe I can invent an alarm that goes off when you have 1/4 tank. I still love him after all that. Also, for the record, AAA does come in handy. I have personally used them 10+ times, including several instances of locking my keys in my car (sometimes running, sometimes not) during my Siena days.

Now that I'm really off on non-medical tangents, let me get back to it.

Overall, my first week (only 4 days but still) went pretty well. I only got really tired on Friday around noon-ish but instead of going home, I decided I would sleep well that night instead. My hair has not started falling out yet. I have not been sick one night. I have a legitimate excuse for my current, over pale, some might say ghostly, skin. I guess the Cuban doesn't always come out in me. And it seemed like each day, the actual radiation process, got better, quicker, easier. That's enough positive in itself because if anyone watched that video, they would know, it's freaking creepy. 

Like heyyyyy- (Not me by the way. I haven't worked up the guts yet to creepily ask the technician to take my picture while I'm in there but I think I will. We're becoming besties.)

And the reason for the title of this post and for me not wanting to stop writing is because currently, John is still sound a sleep next to me and I'm bored and kind of hungry. I've been up since 8:30. 

Maybe I will just start getting ready for the Wedding now. It's never too soon!

And Laura, your most recent fundraising post was amazing and so are you. I love you and everyone for helping and supporting me so much. Currently working on that life size, cardboard cut out of you at the event. Anyone know someone who could assist?

Thank you SO MUCH for everything!!! What would I do without all of this amazing support?!

<3 Erica 

1 comment:

  1. Probably never thought I'd be saying this but, I LOVE the pill cases!!!! Someone got crafty! Love you xoxo

    ReplyDelete