Sunday, September 15, 2013

Belated Birthday Blog

Hi all...

Medical Update
I still have not had any major side effects from the radiation and chemotherapy treatments. My hair seems to still be fully in place. I'm noticing my skin is changing
a little. A bit more red and kind of dry, sometimes itchy. Hopefully wont be too much worse.

I also have not been sleeping well at all. Since Monday I think I was unable to get more than 4-5 hours per night. Not only have I been unable to fall asleep early, I wake up several times per night, but anytime I wake up after 3:30am, I can't fall back asleep because I have a bad stomach ache. Not really nauseous but not good. It has happened Tuesday - Friday. Then, last night up until about 3am and woke up at 8am. Just really the tiredness & fatigue is getting to me. Making me a little stressed, anxious a little, edgy, really trying to work on all that!

I was able to enjoy some nice dinners and time spent this past week for my birthday with my family and friends. Just had to remember to take my meds with me; annoying but doable.

Also for the record, loud noises don't bother me anymore. Common misconception that I have noticed. That was a post-surgery side effect. Now the only time noise bothers me would be if I'm exhausted and trying to sleep. 

The hardest part so far had been the timing of the medication and the fear/anxiety of how it might affect me if I'm not home. For example, I went to Philly Bar on Saturday to see some friends and try to enjoy myself. I got myself a nice seltzer with lime. No alcohol is really growing on me and I'm realizing how much more grown up/mature I feel already. But anyways... I had to remember to pull out my handy sandwich  baggies that I had to prepare prior to going with the meds inside, sneak them back at the table, two different times because its on the strict time schedule. Hoping I don't get sick because it was my first time taking it and not going right to bed after. I didn't get sick! Thank god. But still look forward to never having to go through this again. 

The radiation is going by quicker it seems like maybe just because I'm getting used to it. I'm becoming good friends with the technicians. I brought them cookies which they said were gone within one hour. I also counted this last time, the one kid comes in 6 different times to move the table. It's a button on the end of the bed, and he moves it to the right angle, each time the machine also moves around. So I'm in 6 different angles, getting radiated on for what seems to be 15-30 seconds each time maybe 10 times. That could be totally wrong because I'm just counting in my head. 

My birthday was really awesome though because I have some amazing people who really made that happen. And they know who they are :-)

Now I'm going to take the meds and try to go to bed by 10 so I can get some real sleep tonight! Wish me luck people... 

Countdown until my little no treatment break - about 4 weeks and 1 day! Someone actually got me 45 days worth of scratch off tickets that I scratch 1, each day closer to being done. I have won $3 so far. 


Also got this amazing thing in the mail..


Loved it! Thank you! 

Also, wanted to thank everyone else as well for all the birthday wishes, gifts, kind donations, and as always, support. Love you all for that. 


No comments:

Post a Comment