Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Radiation? Check!

Felt SO good to not have to go in for radiation on Tuesday. I mean, I'll miss the techs but I can always go visit them! I met some really nice people: the techs, nurses, admin staff, other patients, radiation doctor obviously etc. Some patients were more fun to talk to than others so I got some contact info!

On Monday, my exit interview (as I like to call it) was quick and went pretty well. The nurse told me the following tips and info:
1. Side effects will last another few weeks , including, but not limited to:

A. Definite extreme fatigue which I really notice around 1-3pm daily. They said I need to listen to my body and rest. It's hard when I'm at work to even request leaving to nap because I usually get a second wind around 4:30-5 but apparently it's not because I'm tired from lack of sleep, I actually, medically need more.

B. Potentially more hair loss in the same areas. I think it cover it up pretty damn good. I think people would be shocked if they saw how much was really bald. When I curl it (which I started doing) and pin it just the perfect way, I think it's pretty unnoticeable. The wind causes a big problem because it does need to stay perfectly in place but I'll just make sure to always carry a mirror with me to fix it once I'm inside! The other problem is that I won't be able to put my hair up ever without a headband or scarf but that's not a huge deal, I hate my hair up anyways, except for the sock bun which looks cute with a scarf. Anywho!

2. Continue to use gentle products on scalp and face and continue to use aquafor daily for at least another month then can switch to a lotion. She said the skin marks from the mask (which I creepily took, see below- I threw it out already) will eventually go away. 

3. No sun for a full year on my face or scalp. I guess I will be healthier in the long run!

4. Healthy diet. Okay, so I took this one really far. I am going to go Kris Carr (Google her) style, which includes no added sugar, no artificial sweeteners, no caffeine, no alcohol, no white stuff AND vegan. I was already doing most of these and I started vegan this weekend and it hasn't been bad. I actually made really good meals so far and have done my research on restaurants around the area! 
This is a spicy peanut sriracha sauce over pan fried tofu. It actually tasted AMAZING but I will say these recipes take a lot of preparation time. Now I know so I will have to plan accordingly. This same night, I bought John some steak tips to pour the sauce over and he made a wrap out of it! 

And John got me this amazing veggie slicer/pasta maker. I used it finally (3 months later) and literally was amazed at how it made this zucchini turn into fasta (fake pasta- get it?) so last night I made a similar peanut sauce over pasta. It was a cold dish which I love. He had real pasta I had zucchini! So good. Also got a good processor which I see in a lot of recipes.

Back on the "healthy diet" when I say "no" to all of those things, in my case, that doesn't mean ever. Let's be honest, I am going to enjoy myself a cocktail, piece of cake, etc at special occasions, birthdays, holidays, events.. But I'm really going to make those things treats or exceptions, not the norm. The meat I have no problem doing without, never been my thing. I'm not even sure if I eat turkey on thanksgiving. I'm more of a side junkie (started pinning a ton of ideas.) The eggs and cheese are a little tough but they have great substitutes. Alyssa actually made me these AMAZING vegan oatmeal cookies with unsweetened applesauce and bananas. (Thank you, love you!) I already drink almond milk so I'm all set there. Also, I'm not going to be mrs. Omg made in an animal/dairy facility, don't touch it! More or less just not the obvious stuff, ie. I won't eat a bacon egg and cheese on a white hard roll with a glass of milk. (Although that sounds good lol) 

And alcohol, not having it for 3 months has really been crazy, especially with my group of friends, especially with people who grew up in Hudson where it was, sadly, all we did. And I'm 24, it is all that a majority of my friends do. I mean, everyone was willing to not drink and go out hard core because I have the most amazing friends and family but the usual weekends consisted of where to pre-game, how to get around and coming home at 3-4am. This was then followed by a very hung over, unproductive next day including really unhealthy foods (if the drive thru wasn't hit up the night before or both) and laziness. So I'm thinking, make those weekends special, not the norm. I will enjoy my occasional drink, maybe even at dinner tonight (new world bistro- so good) but that doesn't mean I need to drink a "personal" bottle of anything (college people will know what this means lol). Everyone is different but I think I will be happy not living the way I did before all this. Remember my whole weekend? Have no stupid fights with anyone? Don't embarrass myself? Don't mind if I do! Plus seeing other people act the way I used to was a real eye opener. It really is funny. And hey, now maybe people will just have to use me as a personal chauffeur. Tips accepted. 

Anyways, back on food, There really are just so many options! Just need to do a little research and preparation! Ok, in my case, a lot of research and a lot of preparation. Wish me luck!!

5. Stay on all meds except for anti-nausea and chemo pill. Will taper as directed by my oncologist. 

6. "Congratulations!"

Then the doctor came in, said my scarf looked good and that he'd see me in a few weeks. Awkward but funny and "cute" according to some.

On top of the delicious cookies and sweet card from Alyssa. I also got beautiful flowers from my mom, a really cute gift from Lizzie and a super sweet card from John. Love you guys!! Thanks!

I have an appointment this Friday with Dr. Weaver, my oncologist for my usual, 2 week follow up, blood work, etc. So far, so good. And she's really just so sweet and easy to talk to! May have said this in my last blog but if not, we discussed and I'm planning on starting my 5/23 Temodar cycles on the week of Nobember 11th. I plan on updating this as it gets closer and I have more info! 

What else? The weekend of October 26th, I plan on being in Hudson for a few events that some great people set up, including the Melino's event. I'm hoping to see a lot of my friends who I haven't had the chance to in a while! It should be a fun night. I mean, is any night at Melinos not worth it? I was also thinking of maybe doing the headless horseman on that Friday or maybe Sunday (Cody and Nicole, I know you aren't Internet savvy but I didn't forget about you guys asking) Anyone else interested?? I might get tickets this week for it so let me know!

SO SAD, don't even want to say it but my bestie, Laura is also leaving America that weekend to grace Thailand with her presence! Laura the Explorer!!! Love that girl and can't wait to figure out the best time to video chat with her!! 

As always, thanks for keeping up with me! Hope I didn't forget anything!

<3 Erica

No comments:

Post a Comment