Friday, January 8, 2016

Nothing like waiting 21 months...

To my dearest blog readers,

I can't believe that I haven't posted in almost 2 years. Although I'm sure most of you already know that in Sept 2014, I moved to Brooklyn and started a new job (same super exciting public accounting gig) in Manhattan. I had the luxury of living on my current roomies couch for a month before we found our own spot in Park Slope. 

Also, I never thought I would say this but over the past 21 months, I have become a loyal and true Belieber. 

Now onto my positive AF (a lot of adults probably won't get that acronym) medical update. So basically, I was having monthly follow-ups (MRI's and bloodwork) Mar-May 2014 and my fave lady, Dr. Weaver started spreading them further apart. But throw back to Dec 2014, a new 'area' appeared on this little intelligent brain of mine and unfortunately it was over the midline which is not a great spot. She said it could be delayed scar tissue or new tumor so we moved back to monthly follow-ups. She had me do my next MRI with a special type of infusion, I honestly can't even remember what it was called but it was supposed to show more depth and see if there was any blood flow to the area (indicating active tumor). Results: no blood flow which was super positive! So we started spreading them apart again. 

Throughout this time I have had some pretty horrendous MRI experiences, including one from today. I am not claustrophobic or afraid of needles but apparently, my veins aren't exactly cut out for these larger needles/tubes. I have to say my worst ever experience was back in Oct 2014. I had multiple needle sticks in various spots on my arm, one in my hand and one tube of contrast infiltrated which is pretty painful/burning and created a massive lump in my arm. I didn't show many people this picture because it looks like I was abused and I'm fairly confident on this day, the hospital was holding a convention for elementary school aged aspiring technicians and nurses to insert IV's and perform MRI's...


Anyways, those went away after a few weeks and I think they went back to hiring legitimate technicians and nurses. Until today... another horrendous experience, this time in an outdoor MRI unit which is basically a really cold trailer. The technician was extremely nice but let's just say, his needle sticking skills were a bit too close to amateur and required a couple nurses, including a pediatric nurse, for a total of 5+ sticks in both arms, causing some fairly attractive bruising. Nothing like last time so I'm not complaining because after today's MRI results, the follow ups are moved to SIX MONTHS!! It's a little miracle! There is my awesome news! 

Throughout all of this, an amazing, beautiful, hysterical, outgoing friend of mine, Jackie Abatecola (soon to be Ziegler) got some not so ideal news but is handling it like a MOFO champ!!! She is legit the strongest most beautiful lady I know.. Follow her story here!! https://www.facebook.com/fightforjackie/

In 30-40 years, her and I are going to be looking back like, we went through some shit but we came out tougher, stronger 💪🏼, happier 😄 and funnier 😂 (if possible)... Love you girl! 

Everyone just remember this...

2 comments:

  1. So, so happy about your good news. Stay well and remember Italy! God bless you!
    Anna Barletta

    ReplyDelete